What are enterprise web applications?
Enterprise web applications are web-based apps that are specifically designed to be used by large organizations or enterprises to manage internal processes, business operations, or communications. It’s important to understand that while typically enterprise web application is designed to be used primarily internally, sometimes they are used to manage external services or communications.
There are many types of enterprise web applications, but some common enterprise applications fall into the following categories:
- Enterprise resource planning (ERP)
- Customer relationships management (CRM)
- Supply chain management (SCM)
- Human resources management (HRM)
- Business intelligence (BI)
Many companies opt to purchase enterprise-level software off the shelf. However, depending on a business’s unique needs and goals, custom software development may be required.
What does it take to develop an enterprise web application?
Companies typically turn to custom software development when they are unable to find off-the-shelf web solutions that suit their internal business demands. The main goal of custom software development solutions is to help businesses run more efficiently and effectively by delivering tools to meet their specific business needs.
Developing a custom enterprise application can be a complex and costly undertaking. Businesses must carefully consider their needs and objectives before embarking on a custom web app development project. Our top tips for developing an enterprise web application are:
- Define long-term business goals before you lock-in on a software solution.
- Choose a full-service software vendor that knows your industry.
- Keep business process optimization at the center of your strategy.
- Embrace proactive change management at all stages of the software lifecycle.
- Build in software flexibility to ensure the software can meet long-term business needs.
- Be prepared to iterate throughout the web app development.
- Don’t overlook strategically designing a testing plan.
Read More: Custom Enterprise Software Development - 7 Tips for Success
Why outsource custom enterprise software development?
If you’ve never outsourced development of web apps before, it might seem a little intimidating. That’s perfectly understandable! Putting your trust in a different company to deliver the results you are looking for is a big decision in any capacity, especially when the success of your business as a whole can depend on it.
But let us assure you that no matter what size your company is, software development outsourcing can really be the way forward. Whether you’re a startup or a global corporation, there are countless benefits to taking the weight off your shoulders and putting your trust into another company for this stage of the company process.
Some of the top benefits in outsourcing custom software development include:
- Reduce software development cost
- Bring in domain knowledge
- Save time on hiring specialists
- Gain access to world-class talent
- Increase the flexibility of scaling your project
- Work with a managed team
- Focus on your core business
Read More: 7 Key Reasons Why Companies Outsource Software Development
Why work with a full-service enterprise web app development company?
Anyone that has been through the process of developing a custom software solution will tell you that your business partners matter. The web application development company you choose perhaps matters more than any business decision you’ll make during this process.
Developing a custom enterprise application is not a simple software project. Custom software development is complex and requires strategic business-minded thinking and highly skilled technical experts to deliver a quality result.
For these reasons, we highly recommend you work with a full-service enterprise web development company who knows your industry and has a track record of delivering robust and reliable enterprise solutions.
At SoftKraft we provide software product development. We take project ownership and responsibility for decisions that were taken during the development. Success of the project is the only metric that really matters to us.
Read More: 7 Steps to Start a Successful Software Development Partnership
How do you manage an enterprise web application development project’s scope, budget and timeline?
You want working software delivered on time and on budget. That’s the goal. But the reality is IT projects, on average, end up 45% over budget while delivering 56% less value than expected.
To stay in front of these abysmal statistics, you need a solid software development plan. Your project plan is your roadmap - a roadmap that tells you and all of your team how to achieve working software on time and on budget.
At SoftKraft, we are a full-service web app development company that delivers software product development services. We apply agile outsourcing techniques, with its emphasis on collaboration. Scope, budget, and timeline are at the heart of our project management strategy.
Our agile approach makes budget management a shared responsibility. The Product Owner manages the backlog, the sponsor agrees on the budget, and the team delivers the backlog and spends or manages the sprint budget within agreed constraints.
The final step consists of planning a timeline of the stages you will go throughout the project. You have to break down the tasks that must be completed and connect them to your budget and dedicated team to obtain an initial estimate of the project timeline.
Read More: Software Development Planning - Perfect Project Plan in 10 Steps
What technologies do you use for web application development?
As Softkraft, we embrace modern software technologies to ensure your application will be built to last. For many enterprise web development projects, we utilize Django, which is an open source development framework that is based in Python, which makes it easy to work with and maintain long term.
Python is a popular programming language that offers enhanced process control capabilities. The diverse application of the Python language is a result of the combination of features that give this language an edge over others:
- Code Simplicity Python is a favorite among software developers for its strong emphasis on readability and efficiency. It is widely applied in software development in data science and web development.
- Rapid Development Python development services let you build more functionality with fewer lines of code. This made it popular with startups and enterprises. Django is a web application framework that takes care of many of the standard functionalities to build secure and maintainable Python web applications.
- Widely Used in Enterprises Python has grown to become one of the top languages in the current tech landscape. Tech giants like Amazon, Dropbox, Google, Microsoft, Netflix, or Spotify have all trusted Python.
No other languages on the technology market give so much cost-efficient competitive advantage in enterprise web development services. Python allows cross-platform development, web app development, statistical analysis, data manipulation, machine learning, and artificial intelligence, to name a few development solutions.
For the frontend, we use mostly React and Vue.js that provide the following benefits for your future web app:
- Faster Development Ready to use UI components approach supports rapid development. Components are hosted in a library from which teams can access, integrate and modify them throughout the development process.
- User Interface Consistency The component library acts as a point of governance for the business, designers, and quality assurance teams. It can be versioned in the repository, enabling tracking of which applications are on which version of the approved user interface.
- Reuse Across Projects UI components approach allows your application to stay up to date over time and you can build multiple applications that adhere to the intended design principles.